Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Reinventing the Wheel

The big girl, CAP, is home now. She decided she missed us and Baby A too much to stay with Grandma and Grandpa for two more days and insisted on being brought home last night. I was conflicted about this as they were coming up here anyway on Thursday and gas is so expensive now (not to mention the seven hour round trip someone would have to make). Pablo and I decided that CAP is pretty little yet and we could make allowances for her this time. My brother in-law, more commonly known as house-boy and hired mule, was drafted to be the chauffeur.

So we woke to a house full of laughter as CAP and Baby A played their own version of peek-a-boo (we call it tackle peek-a-boo) and other silly sister games. Everything was peaceful and right. For a while...

Then we got a phone call from my mom telling me my grandfather is dying. He's been in the hospital for a couple of days and now things seem to be shutting down. He is 86 years old. When I called to talk to him, he reminded me that he has been ready for this for a long time. I reminded him that just because he is ready, that doesn't make it any more fun for us. My mom is rushing from out east to see him. We were just there this past Friday and made sure to get our hugs and kisses and I love yous. He is very dear to me. My grandmother is sad, but said today that it was time to face it. I tried to hug her with my heart. We will probably go back down tomorrow or Friday.

Then Miss CAP decided that being home with moms and dads and rules was not nearly as nice as being at grandma's house and totally lost it. Kicking, screaming, yelling. Not fun at all. Pablo reminded me that she hasn't been in a routine at all for about two months. Readjusting might take some time.

On the menu today - baked zucchini and leeks with goat cheese, chili and leftover ribs. And some salt from my tears.

No comments: