Monday, August 13, 2007

Back to the weird I know

I am back from vacation in earnest now. We are getting ready for new routines and busier times. Out summer sabbath is nearly over and I am a little bit sad, although more than ready to return to the weird I know.

In between unpacking from our trip, sorting through the stacks of mail and laundry, and generally settling back into my own house, I have found little time for reading or making anything much. I am missing those things.

Today Baby A and I head to the library to restock, return and pay fines. I have a want-to-read list a mile long and only three weeks until the fall semester begins.

I've fallen in love with a publishing house, David R. Godine, and am hunting some of their titles. When we were in Annapolis, I found two Arthur Ransome books printed by Godine. I'd never read anything by Ransome before and have been totally enchanted by the Swallows and Amazons series. Godine has printed all twelve titles. They are also reprinting The Land of Green Ginger by Noel Langley sometime this year. Does that not look like a marvelous book?

Yesterday we made some delicious chicken and a corn saute with recipes from the new Fine Cooking magazine. Yummy. On the menu today - spicy summer squash soup. If it turns out well, I'll post the recipe tomorrow.

No comments: